Staying healthy or maintaining weight requires us to know how much calories we consume and how much we burn. How much calories we consume per serving of food depends on how much of what type of food we eat. Different types of food yield different types of nutrients that produce different amount of calories. Weighing food that we eat is a very good way to know specifically how much calories we are consuming. Food scale can help us avoid eating more food than necessary while we are on diet. Food scale is highly recommended by dietitians. Surveys suggests that people who measure food on food scale are more successful in losing weight than those who don’t.
Food scale can be old-fashioned one or modern digital scale. The more modern the scale, the better the service. For certain types of food like rice, pasta etc. cup and spoon can also be helpful in addition to food scale.
Food Scale Helps Get Accurate Measurement
Size of food in terms of small, medium or big can be confusing in relation to amount of calories. Scale can provide accurate measurement of weight and amount of calories for different types of food. Sometimes information of food label can also be wrong or inaccurate. Weighing food on food scale can help eliminate dependence on confusing or misleading information regarding how much calories we consume per serving of food.
Getting used to weighing food on scale on regular basis helps develop very good idea about how much or what size of what food produces what amount of calories. This ability or idea about correct serving size of meal helps make very good guess on how much calories or food to consume where a food scale is not available.
Food scale is closely associated with the concept of portion control which is about correct serving size or amount of food recommended for Americans by government agencies like United States Department of Agriculture or Department of Health and Human Service. Portion control is about limiting food or drink that we consume in relation to dietary guidelines and correct serving size.
There are simple ways that can help do portion control-
- Measuring accurately: Measuring cups, teaspoon, tablespoon or food scale is useful in measuring foods of different kind including beverage.
- Using portion control dishware: Using smaller plates, bowls, cup or glassware, measuring and knowing how much they hold.
- Serving food separately: Serving food in separate dishware rather than on big bowl for whole family.
- Making single –serving packs: Bulk amount of food like rice, pasta, cereal etc., can be split into several small portions for smaller but frequent meals.
- Adding milk before coffee: Adding fat free milk to cup before adding hot beverage can help know the amount of milk used.
- Measuring oil carefully: Oils yields lots of calorie. It is helpful to pour oil onto spoon first rather than on cooking pan or food directly. This way it is easy to know the amount of oil used.
- Sharing food: Sharing food with someone or eating half a meal while eating out where food scale is not available or accurate measurement of food is not possible.
- Adding vegetables: Eating low-calorie vegetable soup before having a meal or adding low-calorie vegetable to food to increase volume without much increase in amount of calories.
- Eating only while hungry: Eating only as long as we feel very hungry or stopping eating when we feel satisfied or we are close to feeling full. Being able to sense when we are 80% full and stopping there is good as suggested by Clifford.
Food scale along with portion control cannot just give us clear idea about how much calorie we consume but also make it easy to arrange types and volume of food in a meal that yields as much calorie as planned or recommended. When it is easy to arrange a correct serving of a meal, it’s also easy to keep us motivated to watch our diet. Food scale can clearly be highly useful in keeping us healthy.
Last update: June 08, 2017 02:56:16 pm