Portion size is the amount of food that a person chooses to eat for a meal or snack at one time. There is no right or wrong size about portion size. There is no specification for portion size to be standard one. Portion size varies depending on a person’s choice. Portion sizes have grown significantly over time. It is important to do portion control in relation to serving size. There are pre-measured containers or dishware that can facilitate portion control. It is useful to explore and follow expert’s tips to do portion control.
Serving size is about recommended amount of a particular type of food. This is standardized size or amount that offers guidance on how much of what food to eat and how much of what nutrients we are consuming. Nutrition facts label on packaged food also informs serving size of the food and number of servings contained in the package.
Some examples of serving size are as follows. One cup of milk, a six inch tortilla or one slice of bread, two to three ounces of poultry or fish or meat, two ounces of cheese, one cup of yogurt, one wedge of melon, one small piece of fruit, half cup of rice or pasta etc.
Difference between Portion Size and Serving Size
- Portion size is chosen by individual person rather than expert. On the other hand serving size is originally recommended by relevant experts or authorities.
- Portion size may or may not contain more than two serving size. Serving size ideally determines one portion size.
- Portion size may not informs us specifically how much of what food we are eating. Serving size informs us how much of what food we are eating.
- Portion size does not inform us specifically how much of what nutrients we are consuming. Serving size informs us specifically how much of what nutrients we are consuming. Serving size in available on nutrition facts label unlike portion size.
- Portion sizes have grown larger over time, which is unhealthy. Serving size does not go up or down out of individual’s choice. Since serving size gets recommended by relevant experts, it promotes healthy eating.
- In order for portion size of a particular food to be right, it has to be consistent with serving size of the food. Serving size is correct amount of food regardless of portion size of the same food.
- Portion size has to be acted upon by consumers to keep it right. Serving size is to be followed by consumers to keep eating healthy.
Last update: June 20, 2017 12:27:03 pm