Glycemic index rank is mainly used for diabetes patient. There is a lot of evidence that low GI diet plan control diabetes, lower body fats and develops sensitivity by maintaining stability ofblood glucose level. The low GI foods works best for diabetes when it is supported by right amount of fat, fiber, salt. It is very much important to observe fatty element in low GI foods. Do you know why this is so important? Because when you eat high fat containing foods then it slows down your digestion process. Moreover, it is highly recommended not to take saturated fat for people with diabetes.
Low GI foods likevegetables, fruits, legumes etc also contain fiber. It is good to have such low GI foods that increase volume without increasing calories. These foods keeps you satisfied for longer period. Consequently, you can keep your blood sugar level balanced and control your diabetes.
This daydoctors prefer the quantity rather than the quality of the carb foods. When you eat same amount of carb over time there are many differences in Glycemic impact. Many studies proved that low GI foods help to develop Glycemic control.
How to be introduced in low GI foods
In the beginning, it may be difficult to you to have low GI foods. So you can apply some tricks so that you can be accustomed very quickly.
- At first, you can introduce one low GI food at every meal.
- Transfer you dependency of wheat-based bread to barley, oats, and wheat and rice bran.
- It is also a good option to eat grainy breads made by whole seeds and pumpernickel.
- Eating fiber rich foods to slow down your digestion and quickening the absorption of carb foods can be a good idea to be adopted.
How much low GI foods is ok for Diabetes patient
Focusing only on low GI foods can bring opposite result. You should focus on other aspects, such as balancing your diet. You diet has to be low in saturated fat, sugar and salt but high in fiber rich foods such as fruits and vegetables. When you eat carb, containing foods keep track of it. For example,pasta is lower GI foods than watermelon and if you eat either food then pasta will influence your blood glucose level more than watermelon. So try to ensure right amount of low GI foods.
Low GI Meal idea for diabetes
- Oatmeal with berries like blueberry, cranberry, blackberry with 1 tbls flaxseeds and some unsweetened milk. You can add some
- A salad dish made with salsa, chickpeas, lettuce, spinach, lentils, broccoli, some mustard, lentils and some black pepper with squeezed lemon juice.
- Kale patties with sweet potato
- Quinoa with broccoli, lentils, chopped winter squash etc.
Along with low GI diet plan, it is necessary to continue you workout plan so that you can improve your insulin activity and blood glucose level.
Last update: December 12, 2016 05:17:35 pm