Carbohydrate is one of the major sources of food in our daily life. This can break into energies within a short span of time and release sugar in the blood stream. It’s also influential to increase the insulin erection inside the body.
But, the level of increase in the blood sugar for consuming carbohydrate varies due to the type of food and its amount. Some type of carbohydrate can be a potential catalyst to raise the blood sugar significantly, some can rise moderately and some will respond very slowly.
This fact of influencing blood sugar is measured by GI values, which I have discussed in my previous article.
Depending on the variation of GI values, foods are mainly classified into three major divisions. These are-
1. Low GI foods (GI value- 55 or less)
2.Medium GI foods (GI value 56-69)
3. High GI foods (GI value 70 or more)
Here I have written down a short list of foods along with the brief description containing different GI values.
1. Low glycemic foods (GI value- 55 or less)
Low GI food refers to those which contain the value 55 or less in the GI chart. These foods respond very slowly regarding the increase in blood sugar level. It’s also known as slow carbohydrates. Here is a short list of GI foods; you might used to eat in regular basis. These are likely-
- Oatmeal ( steel cut or rolled), oat bran, muesli
- Converted rice
- Sweet potato
- Lima beans
- Whole wheat
- Pumpernickel bread
2. Medium glycemic foods (GI value 56-69)
Medium GI food refers to the carbohydrates which contain the value between 56 -69 in GI chart. These foods respond relatively faster than low GI food. But this type of food won’t increase your blood sugar level rapidly. Therefore medium GI foods can be consumed on daily basis regardless the increase in blood sugar.
Here is a short list of Medium GI foods-
- Whole wheat bread
- Rye pita bread
- Brown rice
- Wild rice
- Quick oats
3. High glycemic foods (GI value 70 or more)
High GI food refers to those which contain the value 70 or more in GI chart. These foods are much responsible to raise the blood sugar level within a short period of time. Moreover, it can trigger the insulin erection significantly.
Here is a short list of high GI foods. You can take a look to skip from the next time
- White bread
- Corn flakes
- Puffed rice
- Instant oat meals
- Rice pasta
- Short grain white rice
- Rice cakes
- Pineapples etc.
How to stick on the low glycemic food?
Foods with the low GI value are very suitable to consume while you are on the way to flatten your belly. In addition it can also help you to shrug off some extra fats from the body. In the previous section of this article I have written down a short list of low GI foods.
You can take a look at that list and motivate yourself to stick on the low GI food. There are few things you can follow to stick on the low GI food.
Here some tips for you.
1. Stay away from refined foods
We do have a very common intention to buy refined foods or products made from refined grains. White rice, white bread, crackers, pasta etc. belongs to the refined foods. While shopping in the super store we usually tend to keep those foods in our cart.
But, to get rid of the bloated stomach or obesity you have to keep yourself away from these refined foods. From now on whenever stepping into the super shop try to keep unrefined carbohydrate (whole grain) in your cart.
There some potential danger having refined foods. It ultimately helps in weight gain. The potential risk of refined foods are-
- Processed foods looks good and taste good but lacks some necessary vitamins. So when you eat refined foods you are getting full stomach but with nutrients. So your body becomes weak without letting you know.
- Refined foods are made with some preservatives. It keeps the food fresh but harms you body badly. It causes cancer and some other complicated diseases. So avoiding the additives refined foods is the best option.
- Refined foods are exaggeratedly added with sugar and fat. When you eat a very small amount of fat sugar mixed foods, you ultimately consume a huge number of calorie within a very short time. So You gain weight very quickly
- Contamination is another risk of having refined foods. It is seen that refined food are kept for long time. Therefore, the chance of being rotten is very high. Ultimately, at the time of eating refined foods we eat potentially contaminated foods.
2. Add some edible oil with carbohydrates
Body takes longer time to digest the fat. No matter what the type is. Therefore, it’s proved that if you tend to add little amount of edible oil with the carbohydrates meal, then it will necessarily reduce the value of GI in total.
But, be careful about the amount of fat you are adding with the carbohydrates. As you already know that, fat can produce twice as more calories than carbohydrates or protein.
3. Mix some protein with the carbohydrates
Protein stays longer period of time in the digestive system. In addition it can contribute significantly to the metabolism process. Metabolism is considered as a key to utilize the energy from foods. Mixing up protein with carbohydrate can lower the GI value in return.
Therefore, whenever you are going to eat some carbohydrate based snacks or meal. Then you can mix some amount of protein to lessen the value of GI.
4. Concentrate on fiber containing food
You may be confused about the food rich in fiber. To help you find the fiber containing food in super shop, I would like to suggest you to take a look at the food labels. From nutrition facts you can get an idea about the amount of fiber in particular food item.
Health professional recommends eating 25-30 gm fiber each day.
Fiber containing foods are likely- beans, legumes, lentils, split peas and so forth. Foods containing fiber are usually lower in GI value chart.
These are the few things you can follow for a long term effect and can lead you to the way of flattening stomach or losing weight.
5. Think about metabolism process by eating low GI foods
By conducting several studies in the previous year, scientists have proved that eating low GI food can accelerate the metabolism process in human body. It occurs because the body never finds more than enough calories, if someone can consistently stick to eating low GI food.
So, body mechanism motivates itself to produce necessary calories from the available foods. Thereby you can keep your digestion and metabolism process very fast and repeated. Once your body could realize that you are not tending to store calories in your body, then it will never help to acquire excess fats.
6. Set your personal goal on dieting
Setting personal goal on dieting can lead the way to stick to the low GI foods in course of time. Without setting goal, you may go far away from the healthy diet, which can pave the way to gain more than enough calories over the body.
So, it is inevitable to do some pre-plan for setting the personal goal on dieting. For instance you can plan your next day morning breakfast with the whole grain bread and a fried egg instead of butter bread and corn flakes. Thus, you can find it easy to eat low GI food in your lunch and dinner as well. Once you can set your personal goal on dieting and consistently stick to it, then you shouldn’t worry about how to lead a healthy life.
7. Imagine on broader perspective
In everyday life if you can control yourself from taking all kinds of high GI foods, then certainly you are relatively in the lower risk of different kinds of diseases being occurred by the obesity problem. For instance, you may keep yourself safe from the following diseases -
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Respiratory disease
- High cholesterol level etc.
So, if you can imagine the effect of low GI foods in broader spectrum, then you will definitely find it meaningful and worth to follow consistently.
Low GI Food List
Low GI foods are suggested as it causes low chances of increased blood sugar level. This diet helps to fight against diabetes, heart diseases and weight loss as well. Low GI foods is not the only way to lose belly fat rather you can maintain the same level of weight by other type of healthy diet and exercise. Here I am giving some a list of low GI foods so that you can have a general idea about what to eat for maintaining a balanced weight.
Vegetables, Legumes and Fruit
- Packaged vegetables with no added salt.
- Butternut, pumpkin, carrots, corn, orange
- Chickpeas, lentils, dried beans such as kidney beans, lima beans, dried peas etc.
- Fresh fruits including apples, pears, bananas, grapes, kiwi, orange.
- Canned fruit and natural juices.
- Dried fruits like prunes, dates, apricots
Breads and Cereals (rice, pasta and noodles)
- Sourdough, dense or whole grains
- Fruit loaf.
- Basmati, wild rice
- Noodles, quinoa, pearl barley
- Oats, buckwheat, natural muesli.
Nuts and Seeds
- Nuts are not a good source of carb but peanuts and cashew are high carb containing low GI foods.
- Sugar free butternut, starch and salt.
- Low GI sugar
- Maple syrup
- Yellow box honey or blended honey
Milk and Dairy based Products
- Plain milk, evaporated or UHT powered milk.
- Soy almond drinks.
- soy yogurt
- Cottage cheese, extra light cream cheese.
- Soy cheese
- Low fat custard.
Meat, poultry, fish, seafood and eggs
- Lean meat
- Lean short cut bacon
- Lean meat patties
- Skin and fat removed chicken, turkey, duck.
- Fish like Atlantic salmon, blue mackerel, blue fin tuna, yellow tail kingfish, and silver perch.
- Canned fish like sardine, salmon, tuna.
- Green mussels, oyster, scallops.
- Crab, clams, cockles.
- Lobster, crayfish, yabby, marron
- Balmain, moreton bay bugs
- Prawns, scampi, calamari or squid.
There are some issues that low GI foods do not recommend the amount of foods that you should eat. Therefore, you should consult with your dietician regarding how much you should eat.
Low GI Diet Plan
Low GI diet plan is very well known concept for heart and diabetes patient. Doctors suggest this diet plan as it helps to control blood sugar level. Low GI diet plan is mainly focused on carb rich foods. It raises blood sugar steadily. Along with this, the fiber content of this diet makes you feel full for longer period. Therefore, you remain satisfied without having too much food. This property of Low GI foods is utilized for losing belly fat.
Many of you may have heard the word Low GI diet for the first time. So it is necessary to say few words about it. Glycemic index or GI rates the carb foods because of their influencing ability on the blood sugar level. The lower the value the slower it raises the blood sugar level.
How low GI foods help to reduce belly fat
You have already known about low GI foods. Foods that are high GI rating are quickly broken down. So your blood sugar suddenly goes up, on the other side your system produces insulin to take blood sugar level normal condition. When your body understands that you are low on sugar then you feel hungry. When you choose to eat low GI foods, it needs more time to digest so you feel full for long period.
What can be eaten?
Normally in Glycemic, index foods are ranked on a scale of 0-100. The rank is normally given based on raising blood sugar level.
High GI foods: High GI foods are supposed to rank 70 or higher. These foods include rice, white bread, baked potatoes, crackers, sugar sweetened beverages.
Medium GI foods: The foods that rank between 56-69 are medium GI foods. Bananas, ice cream, corn, grapes, spaghetti are Medium GI foods.
Low GI foods: low GI foods refer those which rank 55 or under 55. These foods include oatmeal, peanuts, carrots, fruits, kidney beans etc.
Here I am describing a low GI three times meal diet plan.
In breakfast porridge with oatmeal, skimmed milk, little honey, an orange is just perfect. You can also have a chopped apple, two chopped apricots, few grams of bran, little honey with low fat yoghurt. There are few more breakfast ideas you can follow.
- Low fat natural yoghurt with a tbls honey and sprinkle of 2 teaspoon of sunflower seed.
- Porridge with oatmeal, skimmed milk, little honey and a grapefruit
- Two eggs with a spoon of semi skimmed milk.
Lunch can be more diversified with wholemeal pitta filled combination of a piece of cooked chicken, a tablespoon of mild mayonnaise and ¼ of teaspoon of Dijon mustard. You can add a bowl of green salad. Some other low GI lunch diet plans are
- Some lentil soup with a slice of wholemeal bread with 2 medium size plums.
- Mix a piece of tuna with some butter beans, a tomato, a half chopped onion and chopped parsley.
- Veggie soup with pumpernickel and an apple.
If you are a food-loving person then you can enjoy your dinner more impressively.
- Vapor a large cod fillet and décor it with a tablespoon of salsa, some boiled potatoes and garden peas.
- Slice up a chicken breast and fry it with half a pack of stir-fry vegetables in 1 teaspoon of oil. You can use whatever spices you prefer and Serve it with cooked brown rice.
- Bake a piece of haddock fillet, serve it with cooked lentils and baby spinach.
Here I tried to make complete guideline for you to lose weight with low GI diet plan. If you follow this, I am sure it will make some difference for you.
More on Low GI Foods:
Last update: August 07, 2017 05:43:42 pm